Re: gnome-guile broken with guile 1.5 (gg used guile-snarf).

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: gnome-guile broken with guile 1.5 (gg used guile-snarf).
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:42:31 -0600

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> so that's the likely cause of the problems.  the term "expected drift"
> sounds really weird to me, btw -- have you been talking to marketing?

"Drift" seems possible and even perhaps likely to me when a particular
feature that was previously undocumented, and not covered by make
check, is both publically available and used.  It's a bit similar to
the scwm and guppi issue wrt dynamic wind, something I spent a while
trying to fix[1] :>.  In any case the drift I was referring to is
something I suspect we're both interested in trying to avoid in the
future.

[1] though in truth guppi and scwm were using bits a bit beyond
    "publically available" -- we still need a public API for the
    functionality they want.

> i suppose what i'll do is port 1.4 functionality into 1.6, add
> "--compat=1.4" (or whatever, i'm open to suggestions) option
> handling, and document these things.  :-/

I'm unfamiliar with the issues, having never used or examined the
snarfing process, so please see what you think is best.  As
alternatives, we could provide a deprecated guile-snarf-1.4 script,
or, if the changes required for 1.6 won't be extensive, we could
possibly just provide good transition documentation.  I'd be happy to
fix what's needed in gnome-guile, and I suspect that Dale would be
amenable to adapting his code too, once the requirements are clear.

> this means the call to guile-snarf failed in some way, but only the
> Makefile knows for sure...  what does guile-snarf invocation look
> like there?

  guile-snarf -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2
-I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include
-I/home/rlb/opt/gnome-guile-0.20-1.5/include -I/home/rlb/opt/guile-1.5/include
-g -O2 guile-gtk.c >guile-gtk.c.tmp && mv guile-gtk.c.tmp guile-gtk.x
  guile-gtk.c:2784: guile-gtk.x: No such file or directory
  make[2]: *** [guile-gtk.x] Error 1
  make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/rlb/gnome-guile-0.20/guile-gtk'
  make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rlb/gnome-guile-0.20'
  make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
  You have new mail in /var/mail/rlb

At first glance I had presumed that the problem was that although
guile-gtk.c #includes guile-gtk.x, the old snarfing process supressed
that include, but the new one doesn't, but that was just a guess.
Here's what guile-gtk.c says wrt guile-gtk.x:

  #ifndef SCM_MAGIC_SNARFER
  #ifndef MKDEP
  #include "guile-gtk.x"
  #endif /* MKDEP */