Re: The 1.6.1 release.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: The 1.6.1 release.
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 17:06:37 -0600

Evan Prodromou <address@hidden> writes:

> So, for my own clarification, once 1.5.x becomes "blessed" into 1.6.x,
> what happens in CVS? Will there still be 2 branches, one stable and
> one unstable? Or will a third branch, 1.9.x, start happening at that
> point? Or later, when 1.7.x is starting to look like 1.8.x?

Right now, the 1.5.X branch is the stable branch (in some ways we
should perhaps call it the "pending 1.6 branch" or something).  It's
just still in beta.  When 1.6.1 is released, nothing will change on
that branch other than a tag, release_1-6-1 will be added.

The main CVS branch (HEAD) will always be the unstable development
line.  Right now it's at version 1.7.0, but once we reach the 1.8
"feature freeze" point, we'll create a new branch from HEAD, that will
still be the 1.7.0 line, and then the main branch (HEAD) will be
revised to indicate that it's now the 1.9 development line.

Then, after some 1.7.X iterations, 1.8.1 will be released from the 1.8
branch, while unstable development continues on HEAD.

Hope that helps.  There's also some fairly detailed info in HACKING
and RELEASE -- right now the 1.5 version of RELEASE is more recent
than the unstable version.  I'll fix that in a while.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu