Re: pre-inst-guile

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: pre-inst-guile
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 03:59:53 -0800

   From: Rob Browning <address@hidden>
   Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:07:24 -0600

   No, I know.  I was commenting on why I wanted something like
   pre-inst-guile in the first place -- i.e. my original motivation.
   pre-inst-guile looked like exactly what I wanted.

ok, pre-inst-guile is now generated by configure, in top_builddir, and
the automake frag has been moved to new subdir "am" -- see README there.
this means pre-inst-guile can be used as a drop-in interpreter.  this
has been tested also w/ builddir != srcdir.

to play, try:

$ cvs update -d -P && sh -ex autogen.sh
$ ./configure ... && make && make check
$ ./pre-inst-guile -q -c '(display %load-path)'

because all the (required) directory vars are configure-substituted, a
nice bonus is that you can now move the script elsewhere and it still
works (no longer examines $0, which was a kludge anyway).  however, it
almost goes w/o saying that moving the build tree breaks the script.

thanks for motivating me to do this eminently sensible change!

thi