automake too zealous

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: automake too zealous
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:27:32 -0800

to make pre-inst-guile "drop-in" usable, i first converted
pre-inst-guile to pre-inst-guile.in, but it looks like automake is
interpreting pre-inst-guile.am existence as a signal to generate
pre-inst-guile.in (clobbering what i just wrote) which ./configure
happily instantiates in the builddir as some grotesque makefile instead
of the expected script.  sigh.

a brief scan of the automake info page for "ignore" or "inhibit" doesn't
show anything useful.  any hints on how to inhibit this behavior for a
specific file?

if not, i'm inclined to create top-level subdir "am-frags", which will
contain pre-inst-guile.am-frag (and any future frags).  each Makefile.am
then must do:

  include $(top_srcdir)/am-frags/FOO

and we should take care not to use extension .am unless we want an
associated "makefile".in created.

thi