Re: Release 1.6 critical TODO items.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Release 1.6 critical TODO items.
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:00:47 -0600

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Syncase is happy with the version of gensym we have now, i.e., one
> that doesn't guarantee that the returned symbols are unique among
> all present and future symbols in the system, but only that they are
> unique among the symbols returned by gensym.  When we change gensym
> to produce uninterned, unreadable symbols, we can change syncase to
> use something like gentemp, which we could implement specifically
> for syncase (in syncase.scm).

OK, then it definitely sounds like gentemp would be more appropriate
(at least according to the Common Lisp definitions).  I suggest that
we go ahead and make gensym produce uninterned symbols and gentemp
produce interned symbols.  Might be worth looking at CLtL2, and where
there's no reason not to, match their behavior.

> The way this is done in Common Lisp is to set *print-circle* to t when
> writing the data structure that contains the symbols.  This will only
> work for a single printing action (I think).

Ahh.  I figured that a "solution" would need to look something like that.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu