guile 1.5 (and maybe -dev) fight debian packaging (b/c libtool)

From: Rob Browning
Subject: guile 1.5 (and maybe -dev) fight debian packaging (b/c libtool)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 16:00:31 -0600

Could someone else try this:

  - build guile 1.5 with threads and readline and --prefix=/usr

  - run "make install DESTDIR=/tmp/bar"

and let me know if /tmp/bar/usr/lib actually has libguile or
libguilereadline in it?  I suspect it won't, but I'd like to see if
that's true for systems other than my own.

If that *is* true, then we'll need some kind of fix for systems like
Debian that require being able to install into a temporary directory.
The problem on my system is that libtool's insisting that since
libguile depends on libqthreads, libqthreads *must* be in it's final
install location of /usr/lib in order for make install to work, an
unfortunate demand.

We didn't have this problem before because either we weren't
expressing our inter-lib dependencies, or because we were using an
older version of libtool, but either way we appear to be broken now.

Thanks

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu