Re: Elisp development news

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: Elisp development news
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 15:12:56 +0100

Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:

> That's assuming there is a single long-term plan.  My sense is that
> the Emacs maintainers were not all of one mind about this.  But with
> the recent change in maintainership, perhaps we should put out feelers
> again and see.

> Like I indicated, my long term "plan" has been to try to get
> something working well enough to demonstrate to the Emacs folks that
> it's practical and beneficial to make the change.

Gerd has stepped down as maintainer and RMS is maintaing Emacs again.
I don't think Emacs people have anything against Guile as an extension
language -- they just don't want to do the work.  If we present them
with a working example, then maybe we can start discussing a merger.
I think most Emacs folks would love to see threading and closures, for
example.

The only longterm plan I've seen is that Emacs will start using
Unicode for internal representation.

> Probably lots of things....  Now that the Emacs repository is (I
> think) open, I should be able to make an updated version of my code
> available.  I'll try to do this soon, and let people know what the
> status is.

Yes, Emacs is available via CVS from savannah.gnu.org.

Alex.
--
http://www.geocities.com/kensanata/
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and sweet as love.