Re: assignments

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: assignments
Date: 05 Nov 2001 23:49:57 +0900

    Thi>    From: Alex Shinn <address@hidden> Date: 19 Oct 2001
    Thi> 18:30:16 +0900

    Alex> Unfortunately, (though I really need multibyte character
    Alex> support) since I've just moved (and don't really speak
    Alex> Japanese), started a new job, and don't yet have a stable
    Alex> apartment or Internet connection outside of work, I won't have
    Alex> time to continue with this for the near future.:-(

    Thi> could you publish your work-in-progress?  useful notes?
    Thi> perhaps someone can take these things and continue.  (why let
    Thi> your learning experience go to waste?)

Notes?  I'm not being tested on this, am I :P

The work in progress is just a quick and dirty implementation of Jim
Blandy's multi-byte API, and modifying a few core functions to use this.
Earlier discussions showed that the idea of the API (caching your
current position within the string) isn't very feasible, since you can't
be sure when you'll need to recalculate the position within the string
(without building the cache and a mutex into the string).  As a compiler
optimization, you may be able to prove that in certain sections of code
a string won't be resized, in which case the API could still be useful -
but we're still a ways off from compiler optimizations.  So unless
someone really has a use for it, I won't publish my half-baked code.

I have some ideas about how to move forward with multi-byte string
support, but nothing that hasn't been discussed before... too much, I
think, so until I have some new code I'll keep quiet on the topic.

--
Alex