Re: SCM_CARLOC and applications

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: SCM_CARLOC and applications
Date: 03 Nov 2001 19:10:08 +0100

Michael Livshin <address@hidden> writes:

> Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > If SCM_CARLOC is intended to be part of the interface for applications
> > to use, it undermines my argument, which I thought was a good one :-),
> > but makes my current Guile-Emacs changes a lot smaller...
>
> if it was up to me, I would remove SCM_CARLOC from the public
> interface (is it documented, BTW?  appears not to be).  it would
> certainly have to be slow in the presence of a write barrier, etc.

Agreed.

However, having to rewrite large amounts of code that use it can be a
pain, I'm afraid.  So if Emacs uses it a lot, and we would have to
allow it for Guile as well to make for a smooth migration, that would
be a good argument to keep SCM_CARLOC although we might not want it
for itself.

We should certainly advise people not use it freely.