guile-readline problems

From: rm
Subject: guile-readline problems
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:20:09 +0200

Hello everyone,

i just checked out the latest CVS guile and once again
have problems using it. Here's my current setup:

    address@hidden:~$ guile-config info
    LIBS =   -lcrypt -lm
    libguileinterface = 10:0:0
    guileversion = 1.7.0
    pkgincludedir = /usr/local/include/guile
    pkglibdir = /usr/local/lib/guile
    pkgdatadir = /usr/local/share/guile
    includedir = /usr/local/include
    mandir = /usr/local/man
    infodir = /usr/local/info
    libdir = /usr/local/lib
    localstatedir = /usr/local/var
    sharedstatedir = /usr/local/com
    sysconfdir = /usr/local/etc
    datadir = /usr/local/share
    libexecdir = /usr/local/libexec
    sbindir = /usr/local/sbin
    bindir = /usr/local/bin
    exec_prefix = /usr/local
    prefix = /usr/local
    top_srcdir = /home/ralf/projects/guile-core
    srcdir = /home/ralf/projects/guile-core/libguile

As you can see i installed my libraries in '/usr/local/lib',
and compiled guile with '--with-gnu-readline'. When i try to
activate readline i get the following error:
address@hidden:~$ guile -q

    guile> (version)
    "1.7.0"
    guile> (use-modules (ice-9 readline))
    ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
    ERROR: file: "libguilereadline", message: "file not found"
    ABORT: (misc-error)
    guile>

Runnig 'strace' on guile revealed the following:

    [...]
    open("/usr/local/share/guile/1.7.0/ice-9/regex.scm", O_RDONLY) = 7
    open("/usr/local/share/guile/1.7.0/ice-9/buffered-input.scm", O_RDONLY) = 6
    open("/lib/libguilereadline.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
    open("/usr/lib/libguilereadline.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
    open("libguilereadline.la", O_RDONLY)   = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
    ~
So it looks like guile stops to look for libguilereadline.la without looking in
'/usr/local/lib'. I recently encountered similar loading problems with my own
modules but asssumed it was due to my ignorance of libtools. What am i doing
wrong? Or is there a problem with guiles dynamic loading lately?. BTW,
'/usr/local/lib'
_is_ in my ld.so path ....

 Thanks for your work

     Ralf Mattes