Please update the TODO with whatever is considered release critical.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Please update the TODO with whatever is considered release critical.
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 11:41:03 -0500

If we are going to wait to release until we have a better migration
path, we need to get started working on that, and in particular, I
think it would be helpful to start adding the new things that have to
be done to the TODO.

Though I agree that having a better migration path will be better for
the users, we may want to balance how much we try to do against the
benefits of getting the new version out, a version that *is*
substantially improved over the old one, and against the costs of
dividing development between two trees for too long.

In terms of the recently proposed changes wrt backward compatibility,
are we talking about a large set of changes that'll have to go into
both the stable and unstable trees, and that might take a while to
hammer out?

If so, and if the changes that have gone into the main (development)
branch since the 1.6 split haven't been too experimental, then we
might want to consider the pros and cons of "unbranching" the stable
release.  This would allow us to work on just one tree and then
re-branch when things settle down.

Just a thought...

--
Rob Browning