Re: Issues holding up 1.6.0 release.

From: Gary Houston
Subject: Re: Issues holding up 1.6.0 release.
Date: 6 Oct 2001 09:02:12 -0000

> From: Rob Browning <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 17:44:29 -0500

> Gary Houston <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I think we should experiment with Guppi and leave this stuff out of
> > 1.6.
> >
> > The continuation barrier above has the strange property that
> > exceptions can pass through, but escape continuations can not.  Since
> > it seems that only reentry to the body needs to be prevented, maybe
> > this would be sufficient:
>
> So does this mean that I should just copy/paste the code from
> continuations.c for 1.5 and modify it as guppi and scwm did for Guile
> 1.4?

It's a dirty solution, but would probably work.  I've just looked at
the relevant Guppi code again.  I'm not really sure what it's trying
to achieve: probably preventing continuations from bypassing C code
that doesn't use dynamic-wind.  In that case with-reentry-barrier
doesn't help.

> i.e. Do we have a consensus that we should wait until post 1.6 to try
> and create a no-unwind/rewind version?

If you and I agree and nobody else says anything, it's a consensus :-)