Re: guile 1.5.2 build on ia64 ... successful gc'ing

From: stefan
Subject: Re: guile 1.5.2 build on ia64 ... successful gc'ing
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 18:54:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Rob Browning wrote:

> I was getting ready to apply your patch, but then after poking around,
> I wondered if gc.c was the right place for it.  It looks like all the
> machine specific bits are in gc_os_dep.  So I'm wondering how this
> code should be integrated.  I noticed that there's a sparc specific
> bit in SCM_FLUSH_REGISTER_WINDOWS in __scm.h.
>
> Anyone care to comment?

Same came to my mind. But the SCM_FLUSH_REGISTER_WINDOWS definition is
meant to fulfill register flushing. Might be confusing to do something
else on IA-64.

-- IA-64 has two stacks.  The procedure frame stack, and the
-- register stack (aka backing store).

That means on a ia64 we have something which is unique. No other machine
has something like it (not sure if this is really true).  This is a good
reason to introduce some new definition, like SCM_SCAN_BACKING_STORE ...
just a proposal.

> > Another problem will be the setjmp()/longjmp() in "throw.c" and
> > "continuations.c". I could try to apply some changes using
> > getcontext()/setcontext() if you want to get it working on ia64...
>
> Hmm.  Do we not test these in "make check"?  I'd love to have
> everything fixed for ia64.

The "make check" does it, and fails as well. With the changes to
guile-1.5.3 I can start investigating the above problem...

Cheers,
        address@hidden