Re: Some 64bit issues.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Some 64bit issues.
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:13:19 -0500

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> To me it seems OK to do it in SCM_MAKE_CHAR.  To do it at the point of use
> is not a good idea, IMO, since I would see it as an implementation detail
> which type is used internally for guile's chars.  We should, however,
> guarantee that SCM_MAKE_CHAR works for char and int parameters.

> The code line that you give as an example is not OK.  I think (better:
> hope to remember correctly) that we decided to use size_t for the lengths
> of strings.

OK.  I'm going to migrate my alpha patch to the unstable and stable
trees.

In order to get the code to compile without warnings, I had to hack a
few occurences of SCM_FIXABLE(x) and replace them with "1" because
otherwise the compiler complains about the test always being true due
to the limited range of the data type.

Marius suggested a fix for this a while back, but I didn't quite
understand it at the time.  Marius, do you still know what you want
done here?  If it's not too hard I'd be happy to fix that too, right
now.  Compiling with --enable-error-on-warning pointed out most of the
bugs on the alpha, so I'd really like to get our code "warning clean".

Thanks

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu