Re: Final "make check" problems on alpha (2 UNRESOLVEDs).

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: Final "make check" problems on alpha (2 UNRESOLVEDs).
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 21:55:54 +0200 (MEST)

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Rob Browning wrote:

> Can someone with more knowledgable about the gc tell me what this is
> likely to mean, and what should be done about it?
>
> Thanks
>
>   make[2]: Entering directory `/home/rlb/guile-1.5.2.hacked'
>   Testing libguile/guile ...
>   with GUILE_LOAD_PATH=.:./test-suite
>   with LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/rlb/guile-1.5.2.hacked/srfi:
>   UNRESOLVED: environments.test: leaf-environments: observe-weak: weak
> observer gets collected
>   UNRESOLVED: environments.test: leaf-environment based eval-environments:
> observe-weak: weak observer gets collected

The tests above are unresolved, which means that they did not succeed, but
the reason is not clear.  In this special case, you are dealing with tests
that depend on a well behaved garbage collection.  Conservative marking,
however, can make them fail.  More generally, unresolved tests that deal
with weak pointers, guardians, and gc in general, may fail with one
version of guile and may succeed in a different run or after a
recompilation with little changes.  I have seen that case myself before.

Summarized:  Don't worry (at least don't worry more than you worry about
guile's conservative marking).

Best regards
Dirk Herrmann