autoconf environment variables

From: Gerrit P. Haase
Subject: autoconf environment variables
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 16:26:47 +0200

Hi all,

I have problems building guile from the latest cvs-sources.
I used the autogen.sh which comes with guile.
I have the latest libtool installed (1.4.2), latest autoconf
which is available for cygwin and I  tried before with the
prepacked sbnapshot of guile from 2001-09-12 and it works fine.

$ autoconf -V
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.52e
Written by David J. MacKenzie.

>From the ./configure --help output:

Some influential environment variables:
  CC          C compiler command
  CFLAGS      C compiler flags
  LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
              nonstandard directory <lib dir>
  CPPFLAGS    C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if you have
              headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
  CPP         C preprocessor
  CXX         C++ compiler command
  CXXFLAGS    C++ compiler flags

Use these variables to override the choices made by `configure' or to help
it to find libraries and programs with nonstandard names/locations.

>From the configure output:
==========================
[...]
configure: configuring in libltdl
configure: running sh './configure' --prefix=/usr/local  --datadir=/usr/share
--sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var -infodir=/usr/info --enable-
htmldoc LDFLAGS=-s CXX=g++ CC=gcc --enable-ltdl-convenience
--cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir.
configure: warning: LDFLAGS=-s: invalid host type
configure: warning: CXX=g++: invalid host type
configure: error: can only configure for one host and one target at a time
configure: error: sh './configure' failed for libltdl

I have unset these variables in my environment, still no luck.

Any hints please,

Gerrit

--
=^..^=