Re: errors during GC

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: errors during GC
Date: 15 Sep 2001 01:12:08 +0300

[ sorry for late response, I was out of the country and purposefully
  avoiding computers ]

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> is it actually safe to call scm_misc_error, say, from scm_gc_mark?
> Right now, we have this code in scm_gc_mark
>
>       if (!(i < scm_numptob))
>       SCM_MISC_ERROR ("undefined port type", SCM_EOL);
>
> which looks helpful, but can we break out of the scm_gc_mark without
> doing the sweep?

any error during GC results in a call to abort (), so no worries.

that said, it actually is probably possible to interrupt the GC mark
phase.  I can't see a use for such ability, though.

> It might be possible because of the GC cards
> (i.e. the mark bits are no longer in the cells themselves (what does
> this gain us, btw?)),

the ability to do sweep on demand, which is not implemented yet. :(

> Also, the tags docs in tags.h should be updated for the card scheme.

yes.

--
Due to the holiday next Monday, there will be no garbage collection.