Re: Possible bug with re-export, :select and GOOPS accessors?!

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Possible bug with re-export, :select and GOOPS accessors?!
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 16:29:19 -0700

   From: Marius Vollmer <address@hidden>
   Date: 06 Sep 2001 02:02:38 +0200

   Yes, I tend to agree, but I also think that their is a significant
   difference between selecting from the exported set, or selecting from
   all definitions of a module, thereby violating the module barrier.
   this kind of thing should be possible, but it should also be visually
   explicit.

   I.e., I'd say that `:select' only looks into the set of exported
   definitions, and `:select-internal' looks into the module itself.

   Agreed?

kind of, sort of, maybe.  the crux of the matter is how much weight one
gives to the "export" concept.  if you think of it as a barrier, then it
is wise to be explicit when overcoming that barrier.  if you think of it
as a suggestion, then whether or not you heed that suggestion need not
be formally expressed.  [insert Erik Naggum quote re C++ / trust, here.]
i tend towards the latter viewpoint but can understand the former.

partially because i am lazy (to change my own code that relies on the
latter viewpoint, how about you -- do you have any code that uses
`:select'?), i suggest we note the current design implications in the
documentation and actively solicit feedback from Real Users on their
experiences.  if we get a lot of B&D[1] longing, we can tighten the screws
at a later time.

thi

[1]
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/bondage-and-discipline-language.html