Re: string-map arg order

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: string-map arg order
Date: 06 Sep 2001 01:03:57 +0200

Alex Shinn <address@hidden> writes:

> Ah, I was asking if I should keep hacking or if we are back to
> discussion... looks like the debate is revived :)

I have nothing significant to contribute, but just want think out loud
that for a variable-width string representation (which I think we are
converging to, for better or worse), the traditional `string-ref' and
`string-set!' operations (as if strings were vectors) are not natural
any longer.

I wouldn't mind if string-ref and string-set! would take large
performance hits but we would have an alterntive, more functional and
list-like interface to strings as a replacement.  I'd say that
scanning (with substrings as a result) and concatenation are useful
operations that can be fast for variable-width encodings and can
probably substitute for string-ref and string-set.