Re: Possible bug with re-export, :select and GOOPS accessors?!

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Possible bug with re-export, :select and GOOPS accessors?!
Date: 06 Sep 2001 02:02:38 +0200

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

>    From: Marius Vollmer <address@hidden>
>    Date: 22 Aug 2001 21:23:51 +0200
>
>    Can you try the patch below?  If it works for your, I'll apply it.
>    It gets the variable from the public interface of the module instead
>    of from the module itself, which ought to be the right thing.
>
> sorry to jump in late here, but i disagree...  it's better to keep
> `resolve-interface' and the "exported interface" conceptually separate
> since the exported interface is but one of an infinite set of interfaces
> that the user may choose.  certainly, the interface a user chooses *can*
> be the exported interface, but it can also be a subset or a superset, or
> even a completely disjoint set.  if we don't allow this flexibility in
> interface design, people will kludge:

Yes, I tend to agree, but I also think that their is a significant
difference between selecting from the exported set, or selecting from
all definitions of a module, thereby violating the module barrier.
this kind of thing should be possible, but it should also be visually
explicit.

I.e., I'd say that `:select' only looks into the set of exported
definitions, and `:select-internal' looks into the module itself.

Agreed?