Re: Do we trust the man on the GC trigger?

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Do we trust the man on the GC trigger?
Date: 29 Aug 2001 22:11:12 +0200

Michael Livshin <address@hidden> writes:

> hmm.  (my "hmm"'s must be getting rather tiring lately.  sorry).

Well, no, I just read them as "hmm, tasty..." and imagine your tongue
going up and down my ... oops wrong list. ;-)

> let's try a little thought experiment.  let's pretend that smob's
> size is part of the type, so there's no need for a user (or a Guile
> developer, for that matter) to manually allocate and deallocate smob
> data (in fact, I believe it's already the case: see
> `scm_make_smob').

Yes, I think we should try to free the user as much as possible from
malloc, but I don't think we can afford to just rule out there will
never be cases where some manual memory business gives enough benefits
to be worth the added complexity.

We need to clean up the current situation and make most memory
management automatic, and my proposal was certainly of the hasty
nature, but I think it is sufficiently general that it can be improved
upon without being incompatible.