Re: Future of g-wrap (and guile wrappers in general).

From: Matthias Koeppe
Subject: Re: Future of g-wrap (and guile wrappers in general).
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:38:48 +0200

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> Overall it seems like dropping g-wrap in favor of SWIG, presuming
> that's even an option, would have the advantage of putting effort into
> making Guile's SWIG support stronger, but we might end up (as far as
> wrapping C functions goes) with a less tightly integrated solution
> than we'd have if we stuck with something more guile-specific.  With
> g-wrap we've been able to tailor the wrapping of specific types very
> closely with Guile smobs or native types using libguile directly.  I'm
> not sure that would be as possible with SWIG.

SWIG's Guile support has improved a lot recently.  I'd suggest you try
version 1.3.6.

The way SWIG deals with the individual C/C++ types is completely
configurable with "typemaps".  For instance, wrappers generated by
SWIG use a single smob type to represent all pointer types (with the
actual C type encoded in the upper half of the CAR).  This behavior
can easily be changed by the user, for all pointer types or for
individual types.

I would like to add some GOOPS support for SWIG (making GOOPS
"shadow classes" for C structs and C++ classes), but I definitely need
help here since I don't do C++ and have never seriously worked with
GOOPS.

--
Matthias Köppe -- http://www.math.uni-magdeburg.de/~mkoeppe
SWIG makes Guile wrappers for C/C++ libs -- http://www.swig.org