Re: doc/version-tutorial.texi

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: doc/version-tutorial.texi
Date: 22 Aug 2001 19:26:50 +0100

    Martin> Hi, maybe it's just me, generating the
    Martin> doc/version-tutorial.texi fails for me :-(

    Martin> I have autoconf 2.52, automake 1.4-p4, makeinfo 4.0b and
    Martin> I'm sure I configured with --enable-maintainer-mode.

    Martin> Is it possible that my makeinfo doesn't consider
    Martin> `version-tutorial.texi' as a version file which it needs
    Martin> to generate automatically - but I have the most recent
    Martin> makeinfo (Debian sid from last week) ?

In (my) theory, it should be automake that generates the Makefile
rules that are required to autogenerate this file.  It looks like it
just doesn't work to try to get Automake to generate versioning files
for two manuals in the same directory.

I believe there are two options:

- Only include a versioning file in one of the Texinfo manuals.  In
  this case, I'd choose the reference manual.

- Move each Texinfo manual into its own subdirectory.

I'd rather not do the second when we're already in the middle of a
stable release.  What do you think?

        Neil