Re: Future of g-wrap (and guile wrappers in general).

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Future of g-wrap (and guile wrappers in general).
Date: 20 Aug 2001 15:12:07 -0500

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> Some of the discussion of the "preprocessor for a precise GC" might be
> appropriate to consider here too.  It's interesting to speculate
> whether or not that preprocessor might also be used to handle wrapper
> generation, while also taking into account the relevant GC issues.

And with a Guile specific solution, I'd wondered if there might be any
benefits from tight integration with whatever compiler we design.

As an interesting, though possibly impractical, example, Gnucash wraps
a huge number of functions, and I think (at last count), the wrapper
object code alone was over 256K (stripped).  If in the long run we had
a lightning-based system, and libffi (or similar), we might be able to
wrap C calls on the fly and cache the resulting code.  This might be
good for large APIs with many rarely used functions, though it's hard
to say what the overall performance impact would be.

--
Rob Browning rlb @defaultvalue.org, @linuxdevel.com, and @debian.org
Previously @cs.utexas.edu GPG=1C58 8B2C FB5E 3F64 EA5C 64AE 78FE E5FE