Re: Documentation

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Documentation
Date: 17 Aug 2001 11:48:07 +0100

    Marius> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
    >> I just realized that, notwithstanding Scheme's emphasis on
    >> values as opposed to names, documentation is almost always
    >> about names, aka interfaces, aka bindings, and only rarely
    >> about values.

    Marius> Right.

    >> It's then a simple matter of policy :-) to decide whether we
    >> are happy to let `define' stand for `define/documented' in
    >> either or both of the two cases above.

    Marius> I would be happy with that, for what it's worth.

[getting back to the old documentation thread...]

Assuming that we want to support forms like

    (define NAME DOCS ... VALUE)

and

    (define (NAME FORMALS ...) DOCS ... BODY ...)

, such that the DOCS ... are handed off to some third party
documentation processor at eval time, what is the best way to
implement this?

Is it possible to use `define-macro' or `define-syntax' to redefine
`define' accordingly?  Even if it is possible, would the result be too
slow?  Or should we modify the evaluator explicitly?

        Neil