was Re: strings rationale

From: Tom Lord
Subject: was Re: strings rationale
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:13:51 -0700 (PDT)

      After reading this thread, I have to say that I really don't like the
      idea of symbols being transparently interchangable in *any* context
      with strings.  Some of the arguments I've heard in favor of this
                     ^^^^^
      change sound like they could also be used to argue for the
      interchangability of integers and strings

This question is already answered in the message to which you are
selectively replying.

  - performance?  Consider future compilation optimizations

This argument doesn't really hold up, but it does point to a
long-standing problem about Guile design discussions on mailing lists,
which I'll probably address in a future message.

-t