Re: Release process -- can I put tarfiles up for www/ftp access?

From: ariel
Subject: Re: Release process -- can I put tarfiles up for www/ftp access?
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 19:49:58 -0500 (CDT)

> I think we're going to put the test releases up on alpha.gnu.org.  (We
> have to put them somewhere so that the testers can get to them.)  The
> only question I can think of is whether there's any reason to "hide"
> them in a read-only directory the way some projects do.  I presume
> this is done so that pre-release versions won't get out as "official"
> somehow and cause headaches.
A 1.5 public release seems to be a good thing. We should state
however that the 1.5 series are unstable libraries. I do need
these 1.5 release to come quickly as I do prefer that gnumeric users
get a released tarball (even if it is unstable) rather than asking them
to get the source from cvs or from one of the snapshots

ariel