Re: making testing a higher priority

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: making testing a higher priority
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 12:05:10 +0200

> From: Tom Lord <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 23:14:03 -0700 (PDT)
>
> A while back, I started to write unit tests for every
> part of Systas Scheme.  I didn't get very far before finding
> several bugs;  I wouldn't be surprised if Guile (from which
> Systas branched) isn't in much better shape.
>
> (I stopped this particular project when unit tests revealed
> GC bugs, causing me to think the entire implementation had
> to be rethought.)
>
> What about the idea of stopping work on new language features and
> performance improvements, and going all-out to make a really thorough
> test suite?

Is there so much work on new features and performance improvements?
I'm afraid not.

We already have a nice test framework (IMHO), but it could need some
systematic work to figure out which features need test code, what is
already tested, and, of course the tests themselves.  From time to
time, I try to add some sensible tests, but it's not fun, and we are
all volunteers here...

> Once the test suite is done, other kinds of work are likely to go
> much more smoothly.

Agreed.

Best regards,
  'martin