Guile build process...

From: Daniel Skarda
Subject: Guile build process...
Date: 04 Aug 2001 20:52:32 +0000

Hello,

  I have few remarks (I collected during writing of i18n tools) about Guile
build process:

 * (just because of curiosity) why Makefile.am files in subdirectories have
   flag AUTOMAKE_OPTION = foreign ?

   I also noticed that some very old ChangeLogs from libguile directory are
   distributed, but ChangeLog for year 2000 is not :-?

 * (documentation snarfing) Why .doc files in libguile/ looks so inefficient and
   inelegant? I do not know whether I did something wrong during configuration,
   but eval.doc has on my computer almost 0.5MB (and it looks like raw output
   from preprocessor :-). All files together 9.5MB...

   [Purist's corner] Move snarf scripts/executables outside libguile directory
   (possibly to to guile-core/utils:) and process of documentation snarfing
   itself to doc directory (and also scan other directories - for example srfi
   comes in mind first ... :)

 * (suggestion) Extract all common rules (for creating .x files etc) into
   guile-core/Make.rules and include it from Makefile.am (automake allows
   including files).

0.