Re: Small change in doc snarf output

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Small change in doc snarf output
Date: 03 Aug 2001 12:59:31 +0100

    Michael> * the [frm [to]] thing has a more "cluttered" look.

Admittedly, yes, but ...

    Michael> * [frm [to]] sort of looks like saying that
    Michael> `string-index''s contract specifies that even if `frm' is
    Michael> provided, `to' is still optional.  this happens to be
    Michael> true in this particular function's case, but is still a
    Michael> guess (but then I may be alone in seeing it this way).

Precisely.  This is exactly the way that I've always understood
optional arguments to work.  I believe that all primitives that accept
more than one optional argument have to be written to allow for the
possibility of only some of the optional arguments being present.

    Michael> there's no problem whatsoever to change the snarfer
    Michael> behaviour, of course, so if everybody prefers the old way
    Michael> I'll reinstate it.

Thanks, but I think we should see if there are any other opinions
first.

        Neil