Re: on branching

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: on branching
Date: 03 Aug 2001 00:32:02 +0200

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> very detailed paper on branching methodology:
>
> http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/acme/branching/
>
> i wonder which styles we are (or should be) practicing according to the
> terminology of that paper?

I didn't read that paper in detail (it seems overwhelming), but I like
the descriptions in the "CVS Book" from http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/.

For simple `functional' branches where you want to test out some
radical new code and don't want to disturb the rest (even on the
`unstable' trunk), I like the Flying Fish approach.

The stable/unstable branches are different since they are not intended
to be merged some day.  For them, I'd say we just need to merge back
and forth, either manually, using diff/patch in the working copies
(just before committing one branch, diff/patch the changes over to the
other), or by using tags to isolate a change and merge it using "cvs
update".