Re: [patch] i18n, l10n, gettext and something more

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: [patch] i18n, l10n, gettext and something more
Date: 01 Aug 2001 22:43:29 +0200

Daniel Skarda <address@hidden> writes:

>   * I know about CVS branches, feature freeze etc. But patch is clean,
>     (afaik) does not break anything (infix module can be marked as
>     experimental) and i18n/l10n features can be quite important.
>
>     Could it be included in this stable release?

Hmm, no.  The reason is that having it in `unstable' will be an
encouragement for us all to get 1.8 out the door fast... ;-) More
seriously, your patch might not break existing stuff, but your code
itself has probably not stabilized.

>   * What do you think about extensions to parser (and other proposed
>     improvements). For me the ability to alter the way input is parsed is
>     quite appealing and at least should be implemented as alternative
>     parser.

I like this a lot (and have it on my little todo list myself).  Do you
know about the read-table stuff of Common List.  It's quite extensive,
with catcodes (they call it syntax type) and all.  Before we invent
our own customizable parser, Id rather go with an existing standard.