Re: guile on mac OSX

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: guile on mac OSX
Date: 28 Jul 2001 13:27:46 +0200

Seth Alves <address@hidden> writes:

> Here are some troubles I ran into.  Some of this is not trouble with
> guile, but I included it anyway.
>
> The build of ice-9 wants to run guile, so:
> [...]
> < SUBDIRS = ice-9 oop qt libltdl libguile guile-config guile-readline \
> ---
> > SUBDIRS = oop qt libltdl libguile ice-9 guile-config guile-readline \

Fixed.

> When ice-9 builds, it doesn't find guile, and if it finds guile,
> guile doesn't find ice-9, so [...]

Fixed.  Also, psyntax.pp is now only build with
--enable-maintainer-mode.

> "macosx" wasn't defined, so I changed a line in gc_os_dep.c.  This
> probably isn't right... maybe I don't need the __ppc__ part?

I don't know.  The way I read the code, it wants a definite indication
that it is compiled on MacOS X, not on a PowerPC Apple.  Maybe there
is some other preprocessor symbol defined?

> The compiler doesn't like intptr_t or uintptr_t in bitwise or
> arithmetic operations, so [...]

What?  Can you show the error messages?  Off hand, I would say that
uintptr_t is buggy on MacOS X, then.

> The default cpp does some stuff I didn't expect it to, and it breaks
> many of the autoconf tests.  It also causes a lot of spew during
> guile-snarf.

Hmm, we had some trouble with the new CPP from gcc-3.0, I think, but
they ought to be fixed.  Can you show the error messages that you are
getting?

> When it was time to make libguile.la, this happened:

Looks like a libtool issue to me.

> After that, guile built and it started doing the texi snarfing.   This
> died because zsh (OSX's /bin/sh) is doing a weird thing with this line
>       exec $program ${1+"$@"}
> which is in libtool's wrapper script for guile.

Likewise.

> Here are some scary warnings i saw:
>
> In file included from numbers.c:4220:
> ../libguile/num2integral.i.c: In function `scm_short2num':
> ../libguile/num2integral.i.c:90: warning: comparison is always true due to
> limited range of data type

This is harmless.

> In file included from numbers.c:4268:
> ../libguile/num2integral.i.c: In function `scm_num2ptrdiff':
> ../libguile/num2integral.i.c:24: warning: decimal constant is so large that
> it is unsigned
> ../libguile/num2integral.i.c:43: warning: decimal constant is so large that
> it is unsigned
> ../libguile/num2integral.i.c: In function `scm_i_ptrdiff2big':
> ../libguile/num2integral.i.c:123: warning: decimal constant is so large that
> it is unsigned

This looks like a buggy definition of PTRDIFF_MIN and PTRDIFF_MAX to
me, but I don't know.

> regex-posix.c: In function `scm_regexp_exec':
> regex-posix.c:281: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
> regex-posix.c:282: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size

I don't understand this one.  Are you on a 64bit machine?