Re: May nearly have simple statistical profiler working (need help).

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: May nearly have simple statistical profiler working (need help).
Date: 18 Jul 2001 19:00:09 -0500

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry; `(debug-enable 'traps)' should have been `(trap-enable
> 'traps)'.

Right.

> Does it still not work with `(debug-enable 'debug)' and
> `(trap-enable 'traps)'?

It turns out "with-traps" is not the requirement.  The problem appears
to be that the (debug-enable 'debug) and/or (trap-enable 'traps) has
to be at the top level.  If I do these from within (statprof-reset)
which is the initialization function, they don't work.  If I do them
from the top-level, things work fine.

> I don't know what's going on here.  Are scripts run by default using
> the non-debugging evaluator?

I think so.

> I thought of one problem, but it's only relevant AFAIK to interactive
> use.  All REPL expressions are evaluated within the context of the
> `with-traps' in boot-9.scm.  So if you type `(trap-enable 'traps)' or
> `(trap-disable 'traps)' interactively, it has no effect, because the
> exit-guard of the `with-traps' dynamic wind puts SCM_TRAPS_P back to
> whatever it was set as before the with-traps was entered.

Ahh, so traps are reset after the evaluation of each top level form.
That's good to know.  I don't think it's been an issue yet, but
perhaps later...

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu