Re: May nearly have simple statistical profiler working (need help).

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: May nearly have simple statistical profiler working (need help).
Date: 17 Jul 2001 19:08:45 +0100

    Rob> I also kinda wonder what, if anything, we should do about
    Rob> global states like traps, etc.  My profiler needs to turn
    Rob> them on and off, but that means that it'll fight with any
    Rob> other system that needs to do the same thing.  And unless
    Rob> there's a way I can check their state when I start, I can't
    Rob> even return the system to the state it was in before the user
    Rob> fired up the profiler.  I was surprised that (traps) doesn't
    Rob> return an alist.

Yes, I keep coming back to this worry in various contexts.  If Guile
is set up to act as a multithreaded, multiuser server, lots of things
that are currently global need to be fluids.

It might be cool to think up a cunning way of achieving this
transparently - i.e. without requiring modules to explicitly make
their internal state variables fluids.

        Neil