Re: May nearly have simple statistical profiler working (need help).

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: May nearly have simple statistical profiler working (need help).
Date: 16 Jul 2001 11:50:26 -0500

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> What you need is consistent stack narrowing.  Instead of
> `(make-stack #t)', you can write `(make-stack #t INNER-PROC
> OUTER-PROC)'.  INNER-PROC and OUTER-PROC are both procedures, and
> then make-stack basically cuts away all inner frames from the
> current code position up to and including INNER-PROC, and all outer
> frames from the `(start-stack ...)' down to and (I think) including
> OUTER-PROC.  (See comments in stacks.c for more details.)

At least according to the docs in stacks.c, make-stack doesn't take
procedures, it only takes a rest list of integers specifying the stack
narrowing.  After looking at the code, it seems like it's probably
expecting:

  (make-stack #t startpt endpt startpt endpt ...)

So you could say (given a tall enough stack):

  (make-stack #t 3 5 6 10 11 19)

Not sure, though.  I haven't had enough time to grok the code...

In my case, being able to narrow such that the stack ignores all inner
functions out to a given proc would be optimal, but I can write that
myself.  I guess if I wanted to do it with make-stack, I'd need a
stack-proc-pos func that returned the first position in the stack for
a given proc.

Thanks

--
Rob Browning