Re: proposed getitimer and setitimer functions

From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
Subject: Re: proposed getitimer and setitimer functions
Date: 12 Jul 2001 15:03:23 -0700

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> For the long term, I'd suggest to use seconds as the base unit.  As has
> been suggested before, using rational numbers or reals allows to specify
> any fraction of the given time unit.  So why choose something else than
> the SI standard, i. e. seconds?

Seconds are fine, but my point is that the user shouldn't ever see
that except by calling (timediff->seconds (- time1 time2)) where
subtracting times gives a "time difference", which can then be
converted to whatever units you want (and a "time difference" is also
the arg for itimer functions).

This is more than just doing an interface to itimer, but I think it's
worth doing it right.