Re: Modified TODO (and RELEASE) in both trees.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Modified TODO (and RELEASE) in both trees.
Date: 09 Jul 2001 07:17:17 -0500

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> i think the Id tag is useful.  have you considered using "-kk"?
> (see cvs manual, node: "Merging and keywords" for more info.)

Well, I must admit I don't really see what use the version number is
here.  If you want to see the recent changes, you can run a cvs diff
-u -D yesterday -D now (or similar), and if you really want to know
the version number you can run cvs status.

The disadvantage to using keywords (with branches) is that it will
cause spurious conflicts when you're merging unlesss (as you mention),
you use -kk, and then you run the risk of corrupting binary files,
(which we might have if we ever end up byte-compiling or similar).
Further, people will actually have to remember when they're supposed
to use -kk.  (Note: see "Branches and Keyword Expansion - Natural
Enemies" in the info pages for what originally made me think about
this...)

I guess to me it just seems like a potential problem with little
benefit.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu