Re: Guile 1.6 branch created (please read).

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Guile 1.6 branch created (please read).
Date: 08 Jul 2001 16:17:36 -0500

Evan Prodromou <address@hidden> writes:

> Could improvements in the stable branch be ported forward to the
> unstable branch at some regular interval? Or, better, when releases
> are made?

Perhaps, though of course they can't just be migrated wholesale since
there will be at least some and possibly many changes to the stable
branch that shouldn't be made to the main branch.

> This would probably make it easier to manage the two branches. Having
> a number of developers checking in the same changes on two different
> branches is a recipe for chaos (IMHO).

OTOH, if you make a specific fix to the unstable branch, chances are
good that you're the best person to merge those changes in to the
unstable branch, esp as the drift between the unstable and stable
trees increases.

So I still lean in favor of distributing the work among those who know
each bit best and just planning to deal with the possible problems,
but I'm happy to be convinced otherwise.  This also seems like an
approach that will tend to keep any one person from being as much in
the critical path.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu