Re: Guile branching this weekend.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Guile branching this weekend.
Date: 08 Jul 2001 14:03:37 -0500

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there some clever technology or process for automatically merging
> 1.5.x fixes into 1.7.x?

Nope.  I don't think so.  If this were a bugfix branch, you can use
some tagging conventions and merge policies with pairs of cvs's update
-j flags, but since we're not likely to want to merge to/from the
entire branch, cvs doesn't have a really simple way to incorporate
things.

However, you could probably use -j pairs on a per-file basis (or for a
narrow time window) to merge if you wanted *all* of the changes in
those files to migrate.

Otherwise, you're probably better just applying a patch both places,
and you can always generate the patch with "cvs diff -u ...".

Anyone else, please correct me if I'm wrong here.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu