Re: `angle' implementation

From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
Subject: Re: `angle' implementation
Date: 03 Jul 2001 10:04:24 -0700

Michael Livshin <address@hidden> writes:

> excuse me for butting in at this point, but I understand that you,
> Thomas, are actually _hired_ by the FSF to do Guile-related things.

Specifically for one summer.  A task that can be actually completed in
that time is important. :)

> why writing a Python translator, of all things?

It's part of the very important original design of Guile and one which
has been essentially ignored by most Guile hackers.  It's also a
reasonably well contained task.

And, the time to suggest *other* tasks is long past; you should have
suggested something months ago and not now. :)

> the reason I ask is because I think Guile is in need of a paid person
> taking care of the plumbing.  in absence of such, really important
> things get depeloped (or discussed) up to the "boring" stage and stay
> there.  I mean things like a functioning compiler or a nicer module
> system.

I'm not a permament employee, and I'm not interested in taking on a
long-term maintenance task like that.

> please don't take it personally (I rarely intend things to be
> personal, but my experience is that they are frequently taken as such.
> please don't), I'm just extremely curious about the FSF's motivation.

I wrote RMS, I said "I'd like to work on this".  At the same time, I
wrote to Guile mailing lists and said "I'd like to work on this".  RMS
said "fine" and folks on the Guile lists said "cool".

Thomas