Re: SCM_CALL_N

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: SCM_CALL_N
Date: 25 Jun 2001 17:01:17 -0500

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, I like this, too.
>
> However, should we use macros for this or functions?  Functions would
> make it easier to maintain backward compatibility and would stand out
> as something special in the code.  But are we concerned about binary
> compatibility yet?  Hmm, I don't think so.

I tend to think that unless there's a *really* good reason for making
something a macro, we shouldn't.  So if performance isn't critical
here (i.e. making it a function doesn't cost a lot relative to the
overhead already involved), and if there's no other reason to make
these macros, we shouldn't.

Also, if 99% of the compilers we're going to be using support inline
in a sane manner, that would be preferable to macros for many cases as
well IMO.