Re: Trouble with `export'.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Trouble with `export'.
Date: 13 Jun 2001 17:03:46 -0500

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> One thing that crept into my mind is that we might want to design a
> model of the module system first.  Like we specify a data structure
> and how it is used to find the variable for a given identifier, and
> then talk about how the individual actions of the user affect this
> data structure.

And just to complicate things further, I'd say that in the long run,
we may in fact want to consider whether or not having some form of
module versioning makes sense.  If so, it'll have to play nice with
the rest of the system.

In particular, as with C libs, it might be nice for a scheme module to
be able to say "I need a gtk module that satisfies interface number
3."  and leave it up to use-modules to figure out if there's a module
available (of any version) that satisfies that dependency.

With ldso, the "need" is implicitly encoded in the lib at link time
based on the current available interface number, but since we don't
have a static system to "detect" compatibility, if we do something
like this I suspect we'll have to require people to be more explicit.

Dunno.