Re: RFC: major change to argument processing.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: RFC: major change to argument processing.
Date: 31 May 2001 00:35:50 -0500

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> I see.  Thanks!  So SCSH does not offer any clues what to do.

Nope.

But now I have the double/single quote multi-line parser working, so
you can say:

  #!/home/rlb/opt/guile-w-scmscript/bin/guile \
  -x '(display "He\\\\llo\\n")'
  -x "(display \"Show a double quote: \\\" \\n\")"
  -x "(display 10) (newline)"
  -s
  !#

And this will print

  He\lo
  Show a double quote: "
  9

Note the need for four backslashes to get one to output.  That's
because backslash always escapes the next character, and that leaves
two in the resulting guile argument string.  Similar reasoning applies
for the mess required to print a double quote, though that would have
been a bit easier with outer single quotes:

  -x '(display "Show a double quote: \\\" \\n")'

So now I'm tempted to update docs for this new meta-arg syntax and for
"-x" and to commit the changes.  Should I?

After that I'm planning to move the guile-config code into an ice-9
module and I think I'll be ready to start the release process (and
move toward the branch and testing phases).

Thanks