Re: scm_string_hash suboptimal?

From: Sam Tregar
Subject: Re: scm_string_hash suboptimal?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 14:20:12 -0400 (EDT)

On 29 May 2001, Rob Browning wrote:

> So is anyone here well versed in the "state of the art" hash-table
> wise?  If there is a "right thing", I'd be happy to read up on it and
> perhaps implement it.  It would also be nice if I could add
> dynamically resizing tables, if anyone knows of a good documented
> algorithm.

You might check out the Perl hash implementation and associated
discussions on the perl5-porters list.  There have been numerous rounds of
changes and testing aimed at getting the best balance of memory usage and
performance.  It's a big deal in Perl since almost every Perl program uses
hashes and Perl internally uses hashes as symbol tables.

-sam