Re: feature request

From: Jacques A. Vidrine
Subject: Re: feature request
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 07:58:36 -0500

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 02:24:15PM +0300, Michael Livshin wrote:
> are we *really* afraid of that POSIX rule?
>
> I mean, what is the likelyhood of standard POSIX types having *both*
> the prefix `scm_' and suffix '_t'?

This is a good point, and I agree with it.  If we had a code base that
historically used such a convention, I would not worry much about it.
However:
  1) Now appears to be the time to make `great renamings' where it
     makes sense, and moreover:
  2) This bug was introduced very recently, and should simply be
     backed out

Notice,  too, that  other  GNU  projects have  been  careful to  avoid
reserved names, in some cases going  through a great renaming just for
that purpose.

> are there going to be new revisions of the POSIX spec with significant
> added functionality?

Yes.  New to POSIX -- not necessarily to the world.

> I'm not very afraid of it, in short.
>
> [ I'm not exactly in love with the '_t' convention, either, for that
>   matter.  but uniformity is good. ]

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / address@hidden / address@hidden / address@hidden