Re: feature request

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: feature request
Date: 28 May 2001 11:54:10 -0500

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Another very interesting issue came up in a private discussion with
> Michael: When giving the compile time option -W in addition to -Wall
> to gcc, it will display quite some more usefull warning messages.
> Among them are empty if blocks (helped me to fix a bug in ramap.c),
> comparisons of unsigned values against >= 0 (which is always true
> and thus indicates a potential signedness problem), and comparisons
> of signed against unsigned variables.  From the latter there are
> still quite a lot remaining, but I guess it doesn't make much sense
> to check them before we make scm_bits_t into an unsigned type.

One other thing that might be nice is to turn on -Werror (optionally).
Frankly, I'd like to just have it on by default in the unstable
branch, but I suspect I'd be outvoted :>

I actually nearly missed some important errors when I was working on
script.c the other day because the compilation just keeps going.

In gnucash I added a concifigure option, --enable-error-on-warning,
and always specify that.  Would anyone be opposed to adding a similar
option to guile's configure?

Thanks