Problems with new autoconf (might have fixes).

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Problems with new autoconf (might have fixes).
Date: 25 May 2001 18:35:06 -0500

I ran autoupdate which changed some things (though I still need to fix
HAVE_ST_BLOCKS), but autoconf still crashed on the guile tree.

To fix it, I had to change acinclude.m4 to not test AC_LANG as a
variable (since it's actually a macro).  I changed the ifelse test of
AC_LANG against CPLUSPLUS to this:

  /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
  ]ifdef(CXX, [#ifdef __cplusplus
  extern "C"

which I'm not entirely sure captures the original intent or is the
autoconf preferred way for handling the problem.

In any case these changes make autogen.sh work again, but when you get
around to trying a make, it fails with a libtool version mismatch.  I
noticed that autogen.sh doesn't use --force with libtoolize.  Should
it?

Thanks