Re: read'ing/write'ing strings, and escape sequences

From: Jacques A. Vidrine
Subject: Re: read'ing/write'ing strings, and escape sequences
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 11:30:50 -0500

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 02:13:04AM +0200, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> "Jacques A. Vidrine" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > This is actually two tightly coupled proposals.
>
> Wouldn't this make a nice SRFI?

Perhaps, after some  discussion about which strategy  that I mentioned
is appropriate.   My understanding  is that  SRFIs should  be complete
strategies for  implementation, rather than for  discussion. I may not
have outlined the options clearly enough to generate discussion.  I'll
re-cap them here:

  . Make the described behavior [1] the default

  . Turn  on  the described  behavior  using  a new  read-option (and
    possibly create and use `write-options')

  . Forget about  read/write and supply new  string-specific functions
    to  implement the  described behavior,  e.g. `read-ansi-c-string',
    `write-ansi-c-string'  (I find this less useful than the other
    possibilities, of course)

Hmm, or  maybe your suggestion  is that the  behavior be turned  on by
using  Guile's SRFI  mechanism (which  I'm not  familiar with,  but am
vaguely aware something exists)?

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / address@hidden / address@hidden / address@hidden