Re: license ambiguity in guile exception to the gpl

From: Neil W. Van Dyke
Subject: Re: license ambiguity in guile exception to the gpl
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 08:26:43 -0400 (EDT)

For an example of the ambiguity, it's not clear to me that a developer
is permitted to distribute "boot-9.scm" and all the other "guile-core"
files with a non-GPL'd application.

This ambiguity might defeat the intention of the Guile GPL exception.

It might also confuse authors about how their code will be licensed if
contributed to the Guile project.

I think it'd be good to clarify this in the documentation and comments
before Guile 1.6 release.

(Aside: When we get into any kind of code interaction that doesn't occur
via our traditional notions of native object code linking (static or
dynamic) on the end user's machine, such as when we have substantial
non-native-code runtime files, server-side use of GPL'd code,
interaction through sockets, etc., we get into weaknesses of the GPL's
definitions.  RMS recognizes this is a difficult and important problem,
but I don't know how close we are to an updated GPL.)

Neil W. Van Dyke (nwv)

--
                                          Neil W. Van Dyke <address@hidden>
                                          http://www.neilvandyke.org/